Friday, August 22, 2008

I hate Bicycle helmuts...!!

I have two sons age nine and ten. They spent hours riding there bikes. The wreck all the time. My youngest boy can crash riding down a flat paved street. The LAST thing I will allow is for the to wear those stupid bicycle helmuts. What kind of common sense does that make you ask? On a small scale, very little if at all. It does however give me the chance to tell people why my boys don't use them... and that for me makes a huge difference. Let me explain... First off , when I was a kid I would have got the crap beat out of me if I wore one of those things. We were brought up that to be tough on occasion was a good thing. Parents didn't sit in chat rooms devising every possible way to ensure their children get through life without a scratch. A scraped knee wasn't given a second glance. Nowadays it's a trip to the emergency room. Living life hasn't changed since I grew up. Life is still hard. Shielding our young people from any harm whatsoever has done nothing but produce a generation of wimps. I find no bigger dis justice to today's youth than this antiseptic approach to child rearing. It make me ill. How these children don't harbour a lifetime worth of resentment towards their parents for throwing them to the wolves of life without a clue of how to deal with it I'll never understand. Kids need to know a little hurt. Know what it's like to bleed a little. They need to bash their heads a little while their still at home so we can help bandage them up. Metaphorical as well as physical. As great and awe inspiring life is it also SUCKS SOMETIMES... God forbid our children know this...

No comments: